Thursday, November 18, 2010

This Section of My Life

Since I woke up, I almost knew that I was going to head to state on my senior year.  I had worked for years for this moment; this green stage is where I was ready to perform my best.  The course was difficult, and my game was ready for everything the course had to throw at me.  The last words I was told before I stepped up to the tee box was by my coach and mentor: “I really do expect you to be playing next week.”  Now it was up to just me, to capitalize on my game, and to prove to everyone that I was good enough to go to the state golf championship.
            For the past 2 ½ years, I dedicated myself to being the best golfer I could be by practicing as often as I could.  When I didn’t have a driver’s license, I would try to get a ride up to my golf course as often as I could, whether that meant going for only a half hour or staying up there six hours.  Once I did get my license, I would go golfing even more.  I would play as much as I could, even if it was raining.  I practiced on the putting green, hit balls on the range, and even saved my money from work to buy a better set of clubs.  Even with all the practice, I knew what I needed was a coach.  I found a great coach, and we worked together quite a bit.  We improved my game, and that gave me the confidence going into each season.
            As I began my final golf season for my high school, I was all the long preparing to make it to state.  I had been watching golf shows and reading articles through the winter, and tips on how to improve.  I took a risk at the beginning of the season by completely changing my swing, but did not see immediate improvement. I knew though, soon enough, it would pay off.  Luckily, it did pay off.  As sections came closer, and my excitement grew, I never wanted to stop working.  The team and I were so into it that when it got dark, we pulled up our cars to the practice area, put on our lights, and continued to work.  All of us could smell success in the coming weeks; we knew we were going to blow away the other players.
            Sections, the tournament that decided who would advance to state, was finally here.  Although I was sick the previous day, today I was feeling great.  The smell of freshly cut grass, the sound of the creek running through the course, and feeling I got when you know you are in the middle of some of the best competition of your life, made this day all the more memorable.  Even though I was ready for state, and it was something I had wanted for so long, I realized that I was up against nearly one-hundred of guys with the same story.  I was different though, and I was going to be better.
            As I was stepping up to the tee box, I could hear the talking of teammates, and the sound of clubs clashing together as the golfers walked down the fairway.  There were birds singing, leaves crackling, and yet it was silent.  I didn’t care about the distractions, and like that, they were gone.  I only heard one thing: “I really do expect you to be playing next week.”   As my first ball splashed into the pond, I wondered if perhaps this was not meant to be.  Now, the singing birds sounded of a high-pitched screech,  and the crackling sound of leaves were getting in my head.  However, as I continued on, nothing was going well.  My game was letting me down.  I lost a ball that was as good a shot that I had hit all day (I still believe that another golfer mistook it for his ball), and I even missed a putt that was shorter than minute hand on my watch.  Unfortunately, as my game fell apart, so did my confidence.
            Upon arriving to the club house, I was informed that I have missed the cut by three strokes.  For a while, every time I looked back I thought about all of the mistakes I had made, and if I had not done them, would I have gone to state?  That lost ball was two strokes already, and the stubbed put would have made the difference.  That was most upset I have been at myself to this day, but I now understand how unimportant it was.  Looking back on the season, I realized I as good enough to go to state.  I set the low score for my team all but twice, and I medaled in two meets.  I shot an 80 at Lake City, which is better than most previous golfers at our school had even shot there.  As I realized that my hard work had paid after all, I decided to put that much effort into my life.  I worked harder at school, and even at my job.  Because of that, I earned more scholarships than I could have predicted, and even got a promotion at my job this summer.  Throughout the summer, I placed fourth against the best golfers in high school in the La Crosse county area, twice.  I also placed third in my final of those tournaments, earning my second golf medal of my life.  I also placed second in my flight at my club championship, one stroke off Boomer, who is nearly a legend at our course.  So although I did not go to state, I earned so many more qualities.  Better work-ethic, honesty, and perseverance. 
            I had one chance to go to state, and I did not make it.  Quite frankly, I am okay with that.  I worked hard to make it to state, and even though I did not make it, the work was not wasted.  Not only did I improve my game, but I learned what it is like to fail.  Failure is not something I had significantly experienced before sections, and it has taught me a lot.  I learned to persevere and learn from my mistakes.  I have improved my work ethic and increased my chances of succeeding next time.  I have many years ahead of me, and more golf to play.  So when I do well, or not so well, I will always have the memory of sections in the back of my mind, and that will always keep me going.

No comments:

Post a Comment