Wednesday, December 8, 2010

A Better Workplace

What is one of the most important parts in running a successful business?  In my human resources class, my instructor always says, “If you hire and train good employees, and keep them happy, then life’s good.”  It’s true, because I left two jobs because I was not happy.  I wasn’t treated fairly and the management knew that, but wouldn’t do anything about it.  People have shared with me a few stories of how just having good and happy employees can make a business successful, and if you can make a business successful, then life’s good.
            It was in a local fast food resturaunt where employees were not very happy and business was below great, where the company decided to get rid of management and make all employees equal.  They then hired a current employee to be the single manager, and everyone else below him.  He, because he was an employee already, had a few changes to make.  First, he cut all uniforms and allowed workers to wear anything they wanted as long as it was appropriate.  Then he changed the sign that read,”No Free Refills” to, “Free Refills”.  There was some speculation to these decisions.  After a few months the business had greatly increased their sales, and employees were happier. 
            For the past 6 months or so I have worked at TGI Friday’s, and on weekend mornings I sweep and mop the front, and clean the bathrooms.  I did this from 9am to 11am, and then washed all preparation dishes and leftover dishes until 2pm.  I had an idea though, to simply shift my work hours back one hour.  This was no more expensive because I still worked the same hours.  However, because I was done earlier with dishes, I had time to go the back of the restaurant and help the “Floater”, who does remaining preparation work and portions food.  This person was able to get out earlier, which saved the company a little money (that person was paid more than I was).  Also, because I was able start dishes earlier, I was able to get things washed that the cooks needed for that day’s service.  They had them done before they started cooking so they didn’t have to wash them themselves (while I was cleaning floors).  They are now happier, work gets done sooner, and I have time to help out anyone who needs it. 
            If a few changes are made, the entire company morale can increase.  If workers are happier, then so will be the customers.  Using current employees is a great way to improve your business and probably save money.  Going to work will feel better, and you can relieve stress fairly easily.  Less stress and better days is better for everyone, so life’s good.

No comments:

Post a Comment