Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Snow Days

            If you were to ask nearly any child in California, Georgia, or Nevada what Christmas is like, probably none of them would say “white”.  Snow just doesn’t make an appearance down south that often, so the kids don’t get to build snowmen, have snowball fights, or create snow forts.  Many would like to, I’m sure.  Although snow can provide all of that fun up north, it also provides black ice, tight streets, and snow plies in front of your house.  This winter snowstorm was not forgiving, and everyone in the La Crosse area suffered.
            It was Saturday when we realized that this snowstorm was going to be serious.  Saturday was not as bad as I thought it would be, and I was able to go to work in the morning.  Still, I had to take my mom’s van because my car would not make it to La Crosse and back.  The snow kept people at home, away from shopping.  This kept the restaurant slow all day, so I was sent home pretty early.  I spent the rest of the night doing homework and finals.  Being the end of the semester, I knew I had to buckle down and get this work out of the way.  I got a few finals done that night, and still the snow came down.  I had to call in to work and let my boss know that I would not make it to work tomorrow due to being snowed in.  That was fine and I called it a night.
 The next day I shoveled the snow that my dad could not reach with the tractor and did a little work around the house.  At one point my mom and I had to find a way to make a trip to town to pick up fuel for the tractor.  It took a while, but we made it to and from safely.  I then called work to ask if they needed me to work my evening shift.  The manager said to come in just in case they get busy.  “Well that’s okay, I’ll earn some money,” I thought to myself.  Well after a 45 minute drive, I walked in the door to hear from the other manager, “Sorry, but we don’t need you.  I don’t know what the other manager was thinking.”  So I put on a smile and walked back to the van.  I got home and was going to do some more homework, but then I logged onto Facebook.  After that, no homework was completed.  I would procrastinate yet again.
            The snow really came down on us, and it affected me quite a bit.  I fell short of hours at work, I couldn’t go anywhere to do something fun, and I was pretty cold.  The snow provides plenty of fun for kids, but not me.  I wonder if the kids in California could last a whole week in this.  

No comments:

Post a Comment