Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Thanksgiving Weekend

            Thanksgiving.  They say it is a time for family and friends, and this year that couldn’t be truer for my family.  The whole family was at my house for a great meal and lots of humor.  Even my sister’s friend was there because she and her family don’t get along.  The day after was not quite as fun because I had to work in the morning, but none the less the weekend was fun and gave me time to relax.
            It was Thanksgiving and I slept in late, and I half expected my parents to do so as well because they work so much.  Nope.  When I went upstairs my dad was off cutting firewood and my mom had already started cooking the big meal.  I helped her out for about an hour and then proceeded to watch TV.  Not a very exciting way to start a day.  Eventually my sister came over with her friend Megan.  My sister and I were always closer than most siblings, but we still had our fights.  Since she moved out, though, we are great friends.  I always look forward to hanging out with her now.  Her friend Megan is also one of my friends, and I happen to work with her at Friday’s.  We played Harry Potter Scene It because we are some of the biggest Potter fans you’ll ever meet.  We talked about work and about things going on.  My sister and I had plenty of childhood stories that get funnier with time.  We ate the dinner, which everything from the turkey to the gravy to the potatoes were from scratch, and we just slept.  Talk about a lazy day. 
            The nightmare came when I woke up Friday morning and I had to go to work.  Black Friday and working at a restaurant is never a good combination.  People, over the past few years, were so anxious to eat that they filled the parking lot and kept knocking on the door and telling us to open up two hours early.  So this year we did, and it was the busiest day of the year.  To make things worse, one of our kitchen staff members was gone and the other left early.  We were two men down on the busiest day of the year, and we also had two rookies in the kitchen.  None the less, we pulled through and though exhausted, we did well. 
            After a long day at work I decided to do a little Christmas shopping, or so I thought.  There was hardly anything left on the shelves at a good price.  I settled for a few things for my nephews and called it a day.  I still had to work Saturday and Sunday and do quite a bit of homework, but I was well rested that weekend.  I never thought I would have so much going on during my break, but it was worth it. I had time with my family, had a few laughs, and put an extra fifty dollars in my check that week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment